ASL Practice Place
Coos Bay Public Library, in partnership with with American Sign Language instructor, Kandy Bergquist, will co-host ASL Practice Place every third Thursday of the month on Zoom!
Bergquist has been studying ASL for over 30 years. She worked as an interpreter in school systems including special needs children, in programs for special needs adults, and privately with adults. Additionally, she worked with the deaf and hard of hearing (D/HH) as an interpreter, classroom aid, and Speech Pathologist. Bergquist received specialized training in graduate school for working with the D/HH population and currently teaches ASL and Signed English at Southwestern Oregon Community College.
Program is for those who wish to practice their ASL conversational skills and help other learners in a friendly setting. Attendees will have the opportunity to sign in ASL as a group for one hour in a casual, informal environment. This is NOT a class, but we will provide ideas for conversational topics. Beginners are welcome. Let’s sign!
This program is FREE and open to anyone who wishes to sharpen their ASL conversational skills. Register for this virtual program @ https://bit.ly/3m6j2WG
ASLPP Questions for February 2024 (Practice ahead or just show up to discuss the following)
February Topic: Weather
1. What is your ideal temperature for outdoor activities such as a walk or hike?
2. What is the most dangerous weather situation you have been in?
3. Do you do anything to prepare your house for extreme weather?
4. Does your mood change in different sorts of weather?
5. What is your favorite kind of weather, …your least favorite?
6. In terms of weather where you live what is your favorite month?
7. In your area, what is the most dangerous month in terms of weather?
8. What is the hottest weather you have been in…where was it?
9. What is the coldest weather you’ve been in…where was it?
10. Have you ever done a polar bear swim? If yes, where?