Coos Bay Public Library is offering limited services, including computer appointments, limited browsing, curbside pickup, and mailing library materials. For more details, please give us a call at 541-269-1101 or send us an email at [email protected]. We are accepting telephone calls Monday through Saturday from 11:00am to 5:00pm. Virtual programs and digital services, including Library2Go, hoopla, and TumbleBooks, continue to be available. Please check our website at http://coosbaylibrary.org for up-to-date information.
You are here
About Early Literacy
Early literacy is what a child knows about reading and writing before he or she can actually read or write. Children who have been encouraged to build these skills are at a distinct advantage for learning to read once they start school. Language and literacy development begins at birth, with parents and caregivers as a child's first teachers.
Additional information on developing early literacy is available at Readingrockets.org.
Build Skills at Home
- Talk, sing, read, write, and play!
- You are likely already building skills with your regular daily activities.
Build Skills at CBPL
- Attend Preschool Storytime or Mother Goose on the Loose, a fun and engaging program for infants and toddlers.
- Check out Play & Learn Boxes
- Check out picture books, board books, board games, music CDs and Preschool Packs
- Enroll your child in our 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program. We will help you track your progress and offer incentives along the way. Finishers receive a free board book and book bag.