Coos Bay Public Library, in partnership with with American Sign Language instructor, Kandy Bergquist, will co-host ASL Practice Place every third Thursday of the month on Zoom!
Bergquist has been studying ASL 30 years. She worked as an interpreter in school systems including special needs children, in programs for special needs adults, and privately with adults. Additionally, she worked with the deaf and hard of hearing (D/HH) as an interpreter, classroom aid, and Speech Pathologist. Bergquist received specialized training in graduate school for working with the D/HH population and currently teaches ASL and Signed English at Southwestern Oregon Community College.
Program is for those who wish to practice their ASL conversational skills and help other learners in a friendly setting. Attendees will have the opportunity to sign in ASL as a group for one hour in a casual, informal environment. This is NOT a class, but we will provide ideas for conversational topics. Beginners are welcome. Let’s sign!
This program is FREE and open to anyone who wishes to sharpen their ASL conversational skills. Register for this virtual program @ https://bit.ly/3m6j2WG
MARCH DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Start thinking about the following questions and we'll sign on the 17th!
1. What made you decide to learn ASL?
2. When did you start learning ASL?
3. Do you have any Deaf or Hard of Hearing friends or family?
4. How are/did you learn ASL(class, books, online, another person)?
5. What do you find the most challenging about learning ASL?
6. What is a resource you have found helpful (book, YouTube,…)?
7. What is a tip that has helped you?
8. What is your favorite sign?
9. What about ASL are you focused on right now?
10. Have you read any books or seen any movies about deaf people or a deaf person?